Left over mash potato?
- 3 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup grated Flamin Heart Cheese
- Finely chopped chive or spring onion (optional)
- Diced Grilled Bacon (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups dry bread crumbs
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- Combine the mashed potatoes with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Taste and add more seasoning if desired. Add the diced bacon & chive/onion if you are using it.
- Scoop out about 1 1/2 tablespoons of mashed potatoes and flatten into a disk on your palm. Fill with a little bit of Flamin Heart cheese (about a teaspoon) and then fold over the mashed potato disk so that it forms a ball, roll to shape evenly into a round shape. Continue until the mashed potato mix has been used up.
- Now it's time to set up the breading station: In a shallow dish place the flour. In another shallow dish whisk the eggs. Place the breadcrumbs in a separate shallow dish.
- Taking each mashed potato ball, roll it lightly in flour, so that it's covered completely. Lightly shake to brush off the excess flour.
- Then dip the mashed potato ball into the whisked eggs and coat completely, and then dip in the breadcrumbs, making sure it's fully coated in the breadcrumbs.
- In a large wok or dutch oven, heat oil to a medium high heat. Fry the mashed potato balls in batches for about 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Transfer and drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Serve immediately.